Monday, June 18, 2012

{Recipes} Veggie Stirfry


One of my favorite meals for dinner is a veggie stirfry. My mom used to make them for our family when we were growing up, and now I make them for my own family. Combine the fresh veggies of the summer with chicken or sausage and serve over whole wheat pasta and you have yourself a tasty little meal. Dean loves them too -- notice his little hand snatching some noodles as I was snapping a quick pic -- HA!

Ingredients:
~ 2 peppers, sliced into strips
~ 1/2 onion, sliced
~ 1 zucchini, sliced
~ 1 yellow squash, sliced
~ 1 fresh tomato, chopped
~ Fresh broccoli, steamed {I used leftover from dinner the night before -- frozen would work too}
**Any vegetables work here -- it's a matter of preference
~ Chicken bullion cube combined with about 1/4 cup hot water {this flavors the stirfry nicely}
~ EVOO
~ S & P to taste
~ 1 lb. whole wheat ziti noodles {or any kind you prefer}

Directions:
1. Fill a large pot with water and boil. Then cook your pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. In a small frying pan, place your sausage on medium heat, turning every minute or so until mostly cooked all the way through.
3. In a large skillet or wok, place your sliced veggies with a little EVOO over medium heat. Add sliced sausage. Continue to turn the entire mixture for approximately 5 minutes.
4. Next, add your bullion cube with hot water. Bring heat up a little and continue to turn mixture for a few more minutes, making sure veggies do not become soggy.
5. Add a little S & P.
6. Once veggies are cooked through, dump entire mixture over pasta and sprinkle with parm cheese.
7. Serve with warm, crusty bread.
8. YUM & ENJOY!

**I always have tons of leftovers when I make a stirfry -- great for lunches the next day!
**I'm officially OFF FOR THE SUMMER, have one week left of my LAST grad class EVER, and finally getting things done around my house -- feeling refreshed, relieved, and ready to enjoy the summer with my family!
**I hosted a simple Father's Day dinner -- pics & blog post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment